Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Feeding and no tears!

What a day!

This morning I ran downstairs to put a load of laundry in the dryer.  I came back up to both kids laughing.  I should have turned around and ran!  Looking into the living room I found Isabella With her onesie unhooked and her diaper off running in circles spinning Gabe's chair with Gabriel sitting on it.  I grabbed a diaper and began the chase.  Isabella is a pro at running around Gabe's chair in effort to avoid being caught.  After several frustrating attempts I finally caught her.  I managed to wrestle her to the floor and started putting her diaper on. I had one leg across her mid-section holding her down so I could get the diaper on.  I looked up to see a naked butt run past.  Gabriel had unhooked his onesie and taken off his diaper while I was trying to get a diaper on Isabella.  Much to my dismay Gabriel stopped in front of his rocking chair, grabbed himself and took aim.  Yup, you guessed it, he wet all over his rocking chair.  He then had a 'Gabriel party'.  He clapped and danced very proud of himself.  Isabella of course joined in from under my leg.  I sat there shocked like a lump on a log. 

This afternoon after I finally got Isabella to take a nap I was picking up in the kitchen with Gabriel tagging along.  He started making the grunt noise he makes when he wants something.  I looked over at him to see what he was up to.  He kept grunting and pointing at his highchair and then signing 'eat'.  He has never done this sign but watches his sister use it all of the time.  I opened the fridge to see what we have that he might play with on the highchair tray.  He pointed into the fridge and signed 'eat' and then 'more'.  I looked in the fridge and he was pointing at the container of yogurt.
For those who haven't been following us for very long, Gabriel does not eat much if anything.  His bottles of Pediasure and milk are his diet.  We started feeding therapy again a few weeks ago.  Gabriel will now sign 'more' 'milk' when he is hungry.  This is huge because he would go without eating until someone noticed and went ahead and filled his bottle. 
I was so excited that he was asking for food.  I quickly put him in his highchair and got a bowl of yogurt and several utensils to play with.  I figured he wanted to paint with his food.  Gabriel has been experimenting with touching food in therapy.  I started feeding him and before I knew it he ate the entire 1/4 cup of yogurt without playing.  He started signing 'more''food' so I got him some more.  He ate another half cup before Isabella started screaming.  I set the bowl down on his tray as I went to take care of my teething screamer.  I came back to find this...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Yes, tears of joy!  He is not only signing for food and eating but he is feeding himself!!!



We had to have a dance party after that!



When Gabe got home from work today Gabriel thought he would show off his new skills.  He signed 'more''food' again and showed daddy how good he can eat!  He ate another quarter cup of yogurt!

3 comments:

  1. Yay Gabriel! He did a GREAT job feeding himself too! Better make sure you keep the fridge stocked with yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to wipe the tears away to type this. Great job, Gabriel! Might wanna stay in a diaper, though...gramps H

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I'm not that close to you family but I feel like it when I read these blogs. I was crying the entire time watching the videos. Great job Gabriel! Erin, you are an awesome mom and I truly respect you.

    -Amanda Beach

    ReplyDelete