Thursday, February 26, 2009

at home day 2

Being home is amazing. Gabriel did too much yesterday and is feeling sore today. We tried to keep him calm but he is a "thousand miles a minute" kind of guy, just like his daddy. He is on his stomach right now trying to crawl.

Feeding every three hours again is very rough on me. The dang portagen takes a hour to drain down the feeding tube. Gabriel refuses to eat it, I wouldn't either after smelling it. If the portagen goes down Gabriel's tube too fast then he throws up because it is rough on his stomach. Gabe is trying to switch back to midnights (he went back to work last night) so that is a bit rough.

I am so happy to have my little man home yet so worried about the future. He appears to be doing well. We are trying to isolate him from the world for a while in hope to keep him from getting sick. Working in a school I am so worried that I will bring something home. I will be going back to work Monday, it is going to be pretty rough!

Thank goodness Gabe and I both have amazing families. Both Gabe and I are out of sick time so we have to be beyond careful! Our parents and my aunt will be coming in to help watch Gabriel to make sure he is not out in public getting ill. They will also be there to help with the feedings. We have an at home nurse that started coming over. She will be coming out twice a week weighing Gabriel and checking on his progress. She is going to work with us to make sure he is still gaining weight while we switch over to six feedings (same overall quantity). This will be a little more manageable.

Gabriel has the best color he has ever had but he is sweating more and sleeping more than he ever did before. His breathing does not seem labored and he does not appear to be retaining fluids thank goodness. I still worry about what the cardiologist will say on Thursday. I hate that I wont be able to go because I have to work during the only times that they had open. We will hope and pray that he thinks the medication Gabriel is on will work.

Gabriel is home and that counts for a lot!

3 comments:

  1. Hurray that he's home and making progress. He certainly looks like his father.

    Thank God for family, friends and visiting nurses.

    Stay strong, faith and believing will carry you all through this time of uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad he is doing fairly decent. Just remember he is a strong little man and he will get through this as will you guys. I have faith everything will be fine on THurday. Here for you Hun for anything, call when at school so I can get your mind to relax. Tell Gabe he better sleep when he can so he doesnt burn out either. Sorry being a mommy again. Praying daily for him and you both. THank God for parents and extended famuly!!! Take care of you, Love and friendship Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like overall things are moving along. I know all too well that the portagen is a yucky pain. I could count the number of times Lily through up while not on portagen on one hand...on portagen, that many times a day (well almost).

    So, so glad to hear that you have family member who are able to come in and look after Gabriel. Keep some hand sanitizer on you at all times at school and use it often. Has Gabriel been getting the synagis shot for RSV. It's still going around here so Lily's doctor has ordered one more round, possibly two.

    Oh well...it's 4 a.m. and I think I'm finally tired enough to go back to sleep after Lily's feeding...still thinking of you often

    Of yeah...thanks for your comments on fb about Lily's photos!

    ReplyDelete