Tuesday, February 17, 2009

another set back

We wont be leaving the hospital today. Gabriel went down for his release x-ray, we kind of knew there was something wrong when it took so long for them to come in to talk to us. Then when the doctor on duty came in she had a pretty upset look on her face. Gabriel has air between his chest wall and his lungs. This problem is called pneumothorax. The doctor said that Gabriel has a pretty large air pocket. We hope to see the x-ray shortly. To treat this they are putting Gabriel on oxygen to try to "push" the air pocket out. They will take another x-ray tomorrow to see if there is any improvement then make a judgment on the next step from there. If things look to be improving we may be released but we are trying to not get our hope up because it is too hard to be told he can't come home or that there is something else wrong.

7 comments:

  1. Oh...you guys hang in there. I am sorry to hear that you wont be able to break out of there yet...but hopefully soon. His pictures look so good though...he cheeks are even pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word!!!! This is like Lily all over again! She too had a pneumothorax which occurred when they took the chest tube out. It didn't take long for the bubble to dissipate. It only required one extra day.

    I know you're bummed...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went back and checked my journal...Lily's pneumo occurred Friday morning & we still went home Saturday afternoon. I know this is commom, but it still stinks when its your kid.

    Thinking if you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! You guys hang in there. I know how thrilled you were to go home. At least they caught it before he went home rt? Love Ya and keep your spirits up, he is looking so great!!! I just want to pinch those cheeks and tickle those toes. My best, Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no!
    From the previous comments I see that it's nothing too serious (which is great) - I hope that it gets sorted real soon!
    Take Care and Keep Well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, hang in there! Gabriel looks soooo cute. You will come home soon. I miss you, we all do. Sorry I missed your call yesterday. Call me when you can ANYTIME!
    Love Ya-
    Lil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please know that we will be saying extra prayers for Gabriel!

    ReplyDelete