Tuesday, January 11, 2011

break

First thing yesterday morning I called Gabriel's ENT's office to see why he is not sleeping more than 4 hours a day.  While I waited for the nurse to call me back I called the pediatricians office with the same worry.  The nurse at the pediatrician's office was worried that Gabriel was not acting like himself and went ahead and scheduled him in for when I got out of work.
In the mean time the ENT office called back.  The nurse told me that Gabriel should be healed and there is no reason for him not to sleep other than that we must have babied him too much after surgery and he was use to the attention.  I informed her that he made it through heart surgery and eye surgery, we were not new to surgeries and that there was something honestly wrong.  She let me know that there should not be anything wrong, he had plenty of time to heal and that we should stop babying him and stick to his nap and bed times.  Before the conversation could continue I went ahead and told her that we would have to agree to disagree and hung up.  I was in the middle of class, thank goodness I stepped out so my students did not have to hear that.  I was seeing red when I went back into the classroom.
I took Gabriel into the pediatrician's office right after work yesterday.  He was so tired he was having trouble walking and ran into several things which caused big silent cry face.  The pediatrician checked Gabriel out.  He took one look at Gabriel's throat and said "I think we have found the problem".  Gabriel is healing slower than most children.  His throat is still very red and sore looking.  He is not sleeping because he is still in pain.  We may not see it so much during the day but there is no doubt in our pediatrician's mind that he is still hurting based upon what he saw.  I so wanted to call the ENT's nurse back and yell at her.  We are now able to give Gabriel Ibuprofen as well as Tylenol.  I am hoping to see improvement tonight!!!
Gabriel and Isabella had their first official non-family babysitter this evening.  I was stuck at work until 7 for conferences and Gabe needed to get sleep for work.  Alex did an amazing job with the kids!
Gabriel stealing all the drinks he could find in the house -
Photobucket
The kids
Photobucket
Alex and Gabriel playing
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is an unbelievable attitude that woman had and I'd call and let her know, or maybe your dr. could send something to them, one of the reports. Seriously, for one, it is fine to baby your child who had surgery. For two, you know your child best and she should have taken your concerns seriously. It is possible to have complications with any kind of surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriel has an amazing threshold of pain (like his uncle Nick). I think I need to "dope slap" a nurse. Or maybe the Doctor: she may have given his bullheaded/egotistical response. "Good Surgeon-terrible bedside manner": how many times have we heard that one?

    ReplyDelete